If you are looking for a new way to incorporate more veggies into your diet, try raw zucchini noodles. I use my spiralizer but you could easily cut small strips with a knife or use shreds from a grater. They don’t have much of a taste so it is a perfect vehicle for any kind of topping.
I created this hearty ragu which contains mushrooms, fresh herbs, red bell peppers and red wine. This meal is half raw and 100% vegan. I hope you try it for dinner soon!
- 1 zucchini, washed and ends trimmed
- half of a large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6-8 crimini mushrooms sliced, or 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 half red bell pepper, chopped
- 6-8 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- handfuls of fresh parsley and basil, chopped
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
Heat a large sauce pan with oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, pepper and a pinch of salt. Let it cook down for 5 minutes, or until onion is somewhat transparent and soft. Add mushrooms, olives and herbs. (I used 4-5 sprigs of Italian parsley and 10 fresh basil leaves, all chopped up). Let cook down for 5 or so minutes.
Now add your wine. Crank up the heat to medium-high and let it cook out. Reduce heat to medium-low and add your half of jar of sauce and simmer. If it’s to thick for you you can always add a little bit of water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
To prepare the noodles, take your zucchini and spiralize/shred/grate the entire thing. No need to warm up or heat.
Pour sauce over the noodles and serve. Makes 2-3 servings.