- 1/3 cup melted non-dairy butter, such as Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar, organic if possible
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teasp salt
- 1 flax egg ( 1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1/8 cup apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Prepare the crumb topping – melt butter, set aside to cool. In a medium bowl combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Then add butter and mix until ingredients are fully wet. You will have globs of sugar mixture.
Prepare the cake – Combine flax and water first. Then in a medium bowl combine milk, apple sauce, vanilla and flax egg. Mix well. Then add dry ingredients. Mix until all flour has been combined, but be careful not to over mix.
Pour batter into a 9 x 9 baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Now evenly add your crumble to the top of the cake batter.
Bake for 40 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure cake has fully cooked.
Serve with coffee or tea.