I love buckwheat pancakes. I bought a bag of Bob’s Red Mill Organic Buckwheat Flour yesterday at the store and I kid you not, I was having dreams of buckwheat pancakes last night. Yea… pancake dreams.
This recipe makes enough for two but you can easily double it for more. I made half of a batch this morning and I was able to make 4 good size pancakes.
(I added the double amount in the parentheses.)
- 1/2 (1) cup of flour – spelt or whole wheat
- 1/2 (1) cup buckwheat flour
- 1 (2) tablespoons flax meal or ground flax
- 1 1/2 (3) teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 (2) tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 1 (2) cups non dairy milk
- 1 1/2 (3) teaspoons vegetable oil
- water, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add wet ingredients and whisk together until batter is thick and smooth.
Let sit for a good 10 minutes. The flax adds as an egg replacements and needs time to set up.
Add water if batter is too thick. Heat pan on medium and cook until all bubbles have popped, then flip. Cook for a few more minutes.
Top with your favorite toppings.