I wanted this soup to be simple, yet elegant. It may look complex but your taste buds will enjoy this soups delicate flavor of vegetables and herbs.
- 4 cups vegetable stock + 2 cups water
- 1 bunch chard or kale, washed and torn into larger bite sized pieces – do not include the stems.
- 1 15 oz can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups peas, I used frozen
- 1 yellow onion, chopped into large pieces
- 2 cloves dices garlic or tablespoon pre-diced garlic
- 2 cups brown or wild rice (optional – see notes below)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- tablespoon dried chili flakes, optional and to taste
In a large pot heat oil on medium. Add chopped onion, garlic and pinch of salt. Stir until softened.
Add greens and a splash of vegetable stock. Wilt uncovered for 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients and turn up to high, bringing to a light boil. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for 30 minutes or longer. Taste, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve with crusty bread – enjoy!
- I used leftover brown rice that I had in the fridge. You can easily leave this out or sub it with another grain of choice.
- Use you imagination with vegetable, subbing or leaving out. It will only enhance and define the taste profile.
10 thoughts on “White Bean and Kale Soup”
I made this soup last night, but tweaked the recipe a bit. Along with the onions and garlic I sauteed celery, carrots, and zucchini. I added a brown rice medley ( a blend of brown rice, black barley, and daikon radish seeds from Trader Joe's), and some Israeli couscous.I also made some homemade croutons out of organic demi miche bread.I can't tell you how delish this was!!! And, oh, so flavorful too….It's a good thing there are lots of leftovers for lunch this coming week.Give it a try!!!
Tasha, I made my own version of this soup and blogged about it. I linked back to you, too!Rainbow Chard + Butter Bean Soup
OK I made it and yum! I used spinach instead of kale, since we had it on hand, and I did half brown rice and half lentils. It turned out so great, and we have plenty of leftovers. This will be in Chip's lunch tomorrow for sure.
Yum! I'm going to make this tonight!
Harper loves green monsters too! Soup looks delicious.
What a gorgeous soup! I love kale. YUM!!! 😀
Yum! That looks fantastic! I love white beans 🙂
I love this soup! I've made it before and it's perfect for a cold winter day (like today here in NY!)
I think cooked spelt would be great in this soup!
this sounds REEEEEEEEEEALLY good! do you think you could add cooked spelt to this? hope so!