I may have mentioned this before but if I had to choose my favorite meal it would include curry. I was craving soup, in the middle of summer mind you, and curry one night so I made a filling batch of Curry Lentil Soup.
- 2 cups lentils, I used French – rinsed
- 7 cups fluid – I used 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth + 2 cups water
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste*
- 2 tablespoon turmeric*
- 1 tablespoon each of dried basil + dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large stock pot. Add onion, carrots, celery and a pinch of salt and let cook until soft. Add garlic and let cook for a minute or so. Be careful not to let the garlic burn!
Add liquid, coconut milk, rinsed lentils, spices and bay leaves. Let come to a boil. reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for a good 45 minutes, or until lentils are soft. Check to see if soup needs more salt, pepper or spice.
Serves – 4-6
* I like my curry HOT so I kept adding more to achieve the taste I wanted. You can cut back or add more depending on how you like your spice.