This soup is extremely light yet rich for being a vegan soup. Perfect with a spinach salad and warm piece of crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + 1/2 cup vegetable stock for sautéing
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 pound carrots – about 10 medium carrots, cut into large pieces
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered (Yukon gold works well)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons peeled and finely chopped ginger (about 1/2 inch piece – a little goes a long way!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 table spoon agave or maple syrup (optional)
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock, or water
Add olive oil to large pot and turn heat on medium. Add garlic, onion, 1/2 cup vegetable stock and a pinch of salt, and sauté for a few minutes until onion is slightly soft.
Add carrots, ginger, potatoes, parsley, bay leaf, vegetable stock and salt and pepper. Simmer and cover until the carrots and potato are fork soft.
Turn of heat. Carefully transfer soup mixture to a blender or food processor, one ladle at a time. If you have an immersion blender, blend soup right in the pot. Blend until creamy.
Transfer back to pot and cover. This is the time to add more salt and pepper and sweetener, if desired. Stir well.
The soup will remain hot but if you are not going to serve for a while, turn stove on low.
Serve with bread and a simple salad. Enjoy!