This soup is extremely light yet rich for being a vegan soup. Perfect with a spinach salad and warm piece of crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + 1/2 cup vegetable stock for sautéing
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 pound carrots – about 10 medium carrots, cut into large pieces
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered (Yukon gold works well)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons peeled and finely chopped ginger (about 1/2 inch piece – a little goes a long way!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 table spoon agave or maple syrup (optional)
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock, or water
Add olive oil to large pot and turn heat on medium. Add garlic, onion, 1/2 cup vegetable stock and a pinch of salt, and sauté for a few minutes until onion is slightly soft.
Add carrots, ginger, potatoes, parsley, bay leaf, vegetable stock and salt and pepper. Simmer and cover until the carrots and potato are fork soft.
Turn of heat. Carefully transfer soup mixture to a blender or food processor, one ladle at a time. If you have an immersion blender, blend soup right in the pot. Blend until creamy.
Transfer back to pot and cover. This is the time to add more salt and pepper and sweetener, if desired. Stir well.
The soup will remain hot but if you are not going to serve for a while, turn stove on low.
Serve with bread and a simple salad. Enjoy!
7 thoughts on “Carrot Ginger Soup”
Looks yummy!! I also love carrot and coriander soup. Have you ever tried it?
Oh man how I love carrot soup! I have a recipe in my blog that calls for the addition of cashews and it just takes it up a notch. Yum x 10!
Yum – that looks delicious and beautiful!
This looks very yum and something I will try soon, thanks!
Thanks for posting this recipe! Im going to have to try it in the very, very near future haha!!
Ooh, I bet I'd like this. I like cooked carrots a lot and ginger is so good for tummies.
This is DEFINITELY going on my "to make" list!