Vegan Lentil Soup

This thick and hearty soup will keep you full all day from the protein, and have you coming back for seconds at the same time! Packed full of carrots, celery, potatoes and spices, lentils have never tasted so good. It freezes well so make an entire batch for tonight and enjoy the rest next week or in a month.
Ingredientssee below for notes

• 2 cups lentils, rinsed and looked over
  • 6-8 cups of vegetable stock or water
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 2 cups of chopped yellow potatoes
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped or tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 3-4 carrots, chopped
  • 3-4 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1-2 bay leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot pour your water/vegetable stock. Turn stove on high heat. Add rinsed lentils, carrots, garlic, onion, potatoes, herbs and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer (medium-low) and cover for an hour.
Check often to make sure water level is not too low, adding small amounts at a time.
The end result should be a thick and creamy soup, with the lentils being broke down and soft. Taste to make sure it is seasoned the way you like it, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
Serves 4-6
Notes –

• Use yellow, creamy potatoes in this soup. I used 5-6 fingerlings – I HIGHLY recommend them! You can also use Yukon gold.
  • I used garlic powder instead of whole cloves.
  • Add more vegetables for more soup yield. I would have loved to see more vegetables in my soup – next time I will adding double!

Enjoy!

This entry was posted in lentil, recipe, soup, vegan, vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Vegan Lentil Soup

1. I make a soup similar to this one…I love it! Lentils are pretty new to me and I love them. I like your food philosophy. You seem to think the way I do.

2. veggal says:

I like to add veggies to my lentil soups. Here are some of the lentil soups I tried;http://www.vegrecipes4u.com/dals-and-soups.htmlhttp://www.vegrecipes4u.com/beans-and-legumes.html

3. FoodCents says:

I like to throw spinach in my lentil soup, towards the end.

4. Christine says:

I know what I am having for supper!

5. Debbi Smith says:

This looks similar to my lentil soup, it looks delicious! I don't add potatoes to it though so I will try that next time. Thanks!

6. So delicious! I am adding this to my "need to make ASAP" file!

7. Yum Yucky says:

Wow! I'm making this. This weekend! I seriously need to get better at cooking. This looks good 'n easy for me. And tasty, of course!

8. j3nn.net says:

I love lentil soup, yum!Jenn

9. Oooh, that looks so delicious!! I made some lentil soup not too long ago with Red Lentils, that was my first time ever and it was soooo tasty!Thanks for sharing!

10. Christine says:

This might be a good way to use up the dried lentils in my pantry on a non-raw night, it looks great! Thanks.

11. Christine says:

Whoa…this is super easy and looks so delicious & healthy…thanks for sharing the recipe!!

12. Nicole, RD says:

Lentils never look good, but they are delicious! Definitely a saver recipe! Thank you!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w