This dish is a super food’s dream come true. Nutty quinoa, kale, beans and garlic. What more do you need?
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (1/2 cup toasted quinoa + 1 cup water = makes 2 servings)
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic
- 3/4 cup pinto beans
- 5 leaves of kale, washed and torn into large bit sizes pieces
- a few splashes of shoyu sauce
- pinch of salt and pepper
Dump the quinoa in a saucepan and put heat on high. Toast the quinoa for a few minutes, tossing often so the quinoa does not burn. At the same time, start sautéing the oil, onion and garlic in a large skillet on medium heat. Add a pinch of salt to the onion mixture and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often so the garlic doesn’t burn.
Once the quinoa has started to toast, add water and turn on high.When the quinoa boils, cover and turn to low and cook for 10 minutes or so.
Add the beans to the onion and garlic and let cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add the washed kale pieces and a few splashes of Shoyu and a pinch of fresh pepper. Turn the heat to medium low and cover. Let steam for 7 minutes.
Place a scoop of quinoa in a bowl and top with kale and beans. Serve hot.