This thick and hearty soup will keep you full all day from the protein, and have you coming back for seconds at the same time! Packed full of carrots, celery, potatoes and spices, lentils have never tasted so good. It freezes well so make an entire batch for tonight and enjoy the rest next week or in a month.
Ingredients – see below for notes
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed and looked over
- 6-8 cups of vegetable stock or water
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cups of chopped yellow potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped or tablespoon of garlic powder
- 3-4 carrots, chopped
- 3-4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1-2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot pour your water/vegetable stock. Turn stove on high heat. Add rinsed lentils, carrots, garlic, onion, potatoes, herbs and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer (medium-low) and cover for an hour.
Check often to make sure water level is not too low, adding small amounts at a time.
The end result should be a thick and creamy soup, with the lentils being broke down and soft. Taste to make sure it is seasoned the way you like it, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Use yellow, creamy potatoes in this soup. I used 5-6 fingerlings – I HIGHLY recommend them! You can also use Yukon gold.
- I used garlic powder instead of whole cloves.
- Add more vegetables for more soup yield. I would have loved to see more vegetables in my soup – next time I will adding double!