You all know I love making soup. We have all been feeling under the weather the past week and I thought a big batch of healing chicken noodle soup was in order!
I used boneless chicken thighs, fresh thyme and gluten free noodles. And of course I used Maninis Gluten Free Noodles because Maninis is the only certified gluten free company that uses ancient grains instead of corn and soy and produces FRESH pasta instead of dried pasta. For the chicken noodle soup I used their lasagna strips and cut them into smaller strips. I did this because I wanted my noodles wider and shorter than fettuccini noodles. They came out perfectly!
You can now find Maninis Gluten Free products on Amazon!
- You can use fresh thyme sprigs or poultry seasoning, I like the different herbs in poultry seasoning but I really enjoy using fresh herbs.
- Always salt and pepper each layer – the base, the stock and finished product. But go light on salt since you can’t take it away.
- Add as many veggies as you like. If you like a lot of carrots then add more – it will only help the flavor!
- Short on time? Buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it up.
- Remember to season your raw chicken breast while you cook. I chopped the breast up into small cubes prior to cooking, adding salt, pepper, dried parsley, onion powder and garlic powder. You want the chicken to have it’s own similar flavor to the stock.
- 2 quarts chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
- 4 boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cups fresh gluten free pasta
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- salt and pepper
- poultry seasoning, about 3 tablespoons OR a mixture of fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, basil, parleys)
- extra virgin olive oil, about 3 tablespoons
Pre-cook your chicken in the same pot you are going to cook your soup in. Add a few teaspoons of olive oil to the bottom of the pan and add your chicken pieces. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and let it cook through entirely.
Once the chicken is cooked, add the celery, onion, carrots and garlic. Stir until softened but not brown (about 10 minutes). Add a pinch more salt and pepper to taste and your poultry seasoning, if you are using, or your fresh herbs. You can always add more as the soup cooks so go easy at first.
Add the chicken broth or liquid – I used organic, free range chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and let cook until the vegetables are slightly cooked through.
Add the fresh noodles and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. The noodles will continue to cook even once you take the soup off of the heat. They cook fast so continue to watch them.
You can garnish with fresh parsley leaves if desired.
1 thought on “Chicken Noodle Soup with Gluten Free Noodles”