Homemade Almond Milk

I love almond milk – it is by far my “milk” of choice. Although store bought it’s not as “clean” as I like. Containing triacalcium phosphate, almond flavor, salt and gellan gum, making my own seems like the best way to have pure almond milk.

• one cup of raw almonds
  • 4 cups of filtered water – either cool or room temperature

You will also need a blender, cheese cloth or a sieve, and a large pitcher or container to store the milk in.
Start with soaking a cup of raw almonds over night in filtered water.
Drain the almonds and place in a blender. Add 4 cups of filtered water.
 DSC04849 DSC04850
Blend, blend and blend! I like to blend for at least a good minute. It will be frothy – look at all the bubbles.
DSC04851  DSC04853
Let rest for a few minutes. Then take a large pitcher, place cheese cloth or a nut bag over the top and pour some of the milk in slowly. Take a spoon and gently stir to help the milk drain. You will have almond mush once the milk has drained. I like to do this several times in small batches.
Take the cloth and gently squeeze it dry. Once it’s dry, place pulp in a separate bowl for later use. Do not throw this away as it has great baking potential.
Store in a covered pitcher and keep refrigerated for up to a week. I used a piece of plastic wrap to cover my milk but if you have something that has a lid that works even better.
There are other variations of milk that you can make. If you want a vanilla almond milk add 6 dates or 1/4 cup agave nectar and a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
You can also add less water if you want a thicker “cream” type milk or more water if want a thinner consistency; like non-fat milk.
Feel free to also add a variation of spices, such as cinnamon or nutmeg for a special treat. Or add a few tablespoons of cocoa powder to the vanilla milk recipe and you have instant chocolate milk!
I hope this shows you how easy making your own nut milk is. You can also experiment with other nuts; like cashews. Just remember to keep the nut pulp and freeze it; a lot of raw dessert recipes call for this pulp.

This entry was posted in nut milk, recipe. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Homemade Almond Milk

1. Chelsea says:

I'm making this, this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

2. Glad you posted this. It is so important to show how easy it is to make almond milk – it is delicious and healthy…and so rewarding when you make it yourself! : )

3. Sarah says:

Thank you! I've been thinking about trying to make some almond milk but didn't know how to go about doing it. Now I have a weekend project!Geonerdette@wordpress

4. Maurie – I do have a recipe for nut milk, although I have not made any. I was planning on doing this next week! =)Hillary – I actually do not know the calories or fat in a serving of almond milk. I know its fairly low since most of the almonds turn into pulp. I will try to figure the stats out and post them soon.Adrien – Yes, almond milk is my favorite milk. The recipe for the mil I made is in my post. Do you have a question about it?Lynds – That's awesome! Tell her it tastes GREAT and so simple!Danielle – I use Blue Diamond and Almond Breeze. While those ingredients are "natural" I just prefer to have as little ingredients as possible. Almonds and water: can't get much simpler than that! =)Beth – funny you should ask because now I am on the hunt for some as I speak! I will be sure to post when I make something!

5. Oh, this looks yummy! We love to make our own nut milks too — I am hooked on homemade choc-banana-hemp right now :)I use my nut pulp -especially almond pulp- in raw cookies. This satisfies all the wee cookie monsters in my house :)Your nutmilk pitcher just looks so elegant!

6. Beth says:

Thanks for the picture tutorial! Any ideas/recipes for the pulp?

7. Danielle (Coffee Run) says:

I've always wanted to make my own almond milk! All I need is a cheesecloth…and something to do with all the leftover pulp!Which non-dairy milk do you buy? I use Almond breeze which has all natural ingredients (tricalcium phosphate is a fancy name for calcium and gellan gum comes from a plant! 😀 )

8. Lyndsay says:

I saw this title and thought, "How is that possible"?! 🙂 Thanks for sharing, and I shared it w/ my sister who is allergic to dairy as is her daughter.

9. Terri says:

Your ideas are amazing as always ! Thanks for sharing.

10. Adrien says:

I need to see the recipe that goes with that nut milk- then I'm sold on making it~ is almond your favorite version or is there something better?!

11. Hillary says:

So cool! I am really digging almond milk at the moment. Do you have any idea how much fat is in a serving?

12. Your method is the most simple I have seen, yet. Thanks for making this so straight forward. I'll do this after I run out of my current supply of organic packaged stuff – I want it to be purer too. What about rice milk?

13. I've never tried almond milk before by I am fascinated that you can make your own! Great post!

14. Love it! I've been wanting to get a nut bag ever since Domestic Vegan posted about making her own. Next trip to Whole Foods and I'm grabbing one!

15. Melissa says:

Crazy! I was seriously just thinking "hmm, I wonder what it takes to make my own almond milk" as I was folding laundry 10 minutes ago. Then I get online and check my google reader and this is the first post I see. SO funny! 🙂 Thank you very much for sharing this!!

16. Thanks for sharing! I have never made it before but have always wanted to give it a try.

17. Mischievous1 says:

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! I love how easy this is, and all the different variations possible. It will be a must have in my fridge for now on!

18. wow, that is really cool! i do enjoy cow's milk, but i think it would be fun to play with other kinds!