You can omit the chocolate for a healthier option… but I am telling you: the chocolate is amazing! 😉 You can also add walnuts for a crunchy texture.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3-5 bananas, ripe and soft
- 1/3 cup yogurt, either plain or vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cinnamon and nutmeg*
- half of a cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- cooking spray for baking dish
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, F. Start your double broiler for the chocolate. Add the chocolate and stir until it is melted and smooth. Spray your dish with baking spray.
You can go ahead and mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, place butter and sugar and mix well – about a minute or two. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending after each. Add the banana’s, yogurt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Beat until blended.
* I don’t measure the cinnamon and nutmeg. I can tell you that I LOVE cinnamon and if I had to guess, it would come close to a tablespoon or more. Nutmeg is very strong so I add only about a teaspoon
Add your dry ingredients slowly, mixing as you go. The batter will be thick yet some what runny still. Spoon batter into a loaf pan or a 8″ x 8″ glass baking dish. Add half of the batter into the dish, then add the chocolate. Make sure it is hot and runny so you can evenly spread it on the top. Move fast because it will start to stiffen up. Once the layer of chocolate is down, add the remainder of the banana bread batter, spreading it over the chocolate.
Place on the baking rack and bake for one hour. Insert a toothpick to see if it is done. Let cool and enjoy!